torsdag 18 oktober 2018

Positive things, day 52, 53 & 54

I started writing a post last night. I wrote all of six words before being distracted by something else and then I fell asleep.

I went to pick up another package yesterday after work. Not something I bought myself this time, but a late birthday present from my brother. I already knew it was books, but I wasn’t sure which ones. It was one I have had my eye on for a while, Thing Explainer by Randall Monroe, and Sparrow Hill Road by Seanan McGuire. I discovered McGuire earlier this year and have since read a short story and four novellas. She’s... ah, I can’t explain her. There’s a certain magic in her stories. And I mean that both in the literal way that the ones I’ve read so far have featured witches and ghosts and portals to other worlds, but also the kind of indefinable magic some authors have that make you feel that reading their books have you under a wonderful spell, you know?

I also enjoyed the walk from the pick-up place, because it was a nice day and a route I had not walked before. I used to do that quite often, purposefully get lost and find my way again. For a while, I went to university in a big city, and after class, I would make little explorations. This city I live in now isn’t as big, and having lived here eight years, I don’t think there’s enough of it I don’t know to take long, meandering “lost” walks, but I haven’t seen it all, and that pleases me. While I am a bit sad because I so rarely stray from my routine. It’s all about getting from A to B, from home to work or the shops or wherever and back home. I guess that’s the thing about getting older, working a full-time job, and also living with pain and depression that limits what you’re able to and have energy for. But also that I feel I’ve lost that spirit for exploring the unknown. But the good news here, I think, is that there are still glimpses of it, and maybe those glimpses can be encouraged.

Viaplay is putting Grey’s Anatomy back on! All the seasons. That show just never gets old for me. The first few seasons I must have seen five or six times, but I can still start over again. It’s odd to say it’s my feel-good show because of all the tragedy and I have genuinely ugly-cried over deaths and break-ups in the show. But I love it. Maybe it’s that it makes me feel like my life doesn’t suck so much. And great music too. There are artists I listen to loads that I have discovered through Grey’s.

QI. Hilarious and informative. If you don’t know it, it’s a British quiz show about just about everything, with mainly comedians as guests and there are lots of episodes on YouTube.

That took me a couple of hours (with distractions), but managed to think of a few positives. I’ll try to start thinking of things earlier in the day. Tomorrow is Friday, so hey, that’s a positive for then already. But hopefully something will be better about it than that. We’ll see.


Love,
The glass half sane

Inga kommentarer:

Skicka en kommentar